Sunday, January 2, 2011

Resolutions. Bah, humbug.

So I was thinking this New Years about what my resolutions should be and it occurred to me: why even bother?

Honestly, its not that I don't want to make an effort to "improve myself" or anything like that. I'm sure I probably should, and I could come up with a number of fairly legitimate resolutions. Don't swear as much, stop procrastinating (My 80 question physics is due tomorrow and I started oh, about a half an hour ago.), and I could probably due to be a tad nicer to my mother.

I know though, that any of those resolutions won't be kept well. Its only January, there's twelve whole months (why do I always want to spell it monthes?) for me to cave in on my resolutions, or to just completely forget what they are. And I'll face it. I fight way too often with my mother, and thats not going to change even if I have a resolution telling me it should. I have mopro next semester, so logically my procrastination is only going to get worse. And honestly, every time I miss a gate in ski practice, i swear about it. Loudly. Good thing my coach can't hear me from the chairlift.

So why do people even have resolutions to begin with? I'm sure the percent of people who actually stick to them is incredibly low. The number of people who actually mean their resolutions with sincerity is probably even lower. Do we make them anyway so we can answer people's questions the few weeks after new years without lying to them? Do we make them to feel good about ourselves? Or do we simply need them to make ourselves believe that really, truly, "this year will be better."? I am fairly certain its a combination of these things that drives us to set our resolve once a year only to fail it soon after. And we'll continue to do it for some time.

Me, though. I'm havent thought of a resolution that I will actually keep. Maybe that makes me a bad person. Maybe it just makes me honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment